MT. VERNON (WSIL) – Hundreds of Mt. Vernon volunteers give back to the community.
The central Christian church holds its annual day of service on October 10.
This includes free oil changes at Mt. Vernon Township High School and free car washes for Pro Detail by Soapy Joe’s social workers.
These take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
First responders can come to church for a free lunch or take out meal so the church can say thank you. Lunch is from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Volunteers also organize a neighborhood party from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. with music, hot dogs and popcorn at 1905 Lamar Avenue.
The church has also organized volunteers to do other community work that has already been established for some individuals and groups.
- Acts of kindness – All around Mount Vernon, gift cards, care packages for nursing homes, group homes and nursing units, encouragement cards and artwork in the center.
- Bed construction – Build 50 beds for children in need, upper level parking on the north side.
- Clean city – Garbage collection along Mount Vernon
- WeWoSeJe Camp – Various construction and cleaning works
- Home repairs – Small repairs: decking, roofing and construction of ramps
- Jefferson County Historical Society – Garden and landscaping work
- Laundry love – Laundry Helper at Bustin ‘Suds (Heather Swan)
- Wayne County – Installation of fencing, brushing, painting and other outdoor projects in an equine therapy center in Fairfield
- Gardening work – Collection of garden debris and general maintenance of residential houses
More information can be found here.